Monday, January 26, 2015

INTERVIEW: Lexi Ander #MMRomance


Hello Lexi and welcome to The Hat Party <3 Thank you so much for subjecting yourself to the RANDOMNESS that is a Raine O'Tierney interview! Please don your best hat, and let's get started!




When did you first become serious about being an author?


In 2011 I realized that I was burnt out. I had worked in human resources for over a decade and I was approaching a point where I was considering a career move. As a teenager, I toyed with becoming an author, but once I looked into the field and seen how daunting that path would be, I realized it wasn't a career path I had the resources or the luxury to pursue. Life threw some wicked curve balls at me and I gave up the dream to work and help support my family. I hadn't written creatively in almost 20 years when I sat down and penned Twin Flames. After discussing my options with my husband, he encouraged me to pursue writing if that was what I'd wanted to do. I submitted the story and signed a contract early in 2012, and that's all she wrote. :-)

If you had a superpower, would you use it for good or for nefarious?

I would like to think that I would use a superpower for good but power corrupts even those with the best intensions.

Give a shout-out to another author who may, or may not, know how much you appreciate them.

I love Kenzie Cade's wit and humor. I'm grateful for her friendship and I adore spending time with her. Dude, if I lived closer to her I would make a complete nuisance of myself.

Have you ever tried collaborating? Why or why not?

Only once and life got in the way for both of us. Collaborating isn't easy and requires some planning. I can world build easily, and I have a basis idea of what the plot is, but I'm also a pantser. If the story is too plotted I struggle with writing within the lines. ^_^

Talk about a moment—big or small—that changed your life.

Moving from Texas to Indiana. It was equal parts devastating and exhilarating. I grew into a better, more open person but it wasn't an easy growth. Other than family, I didn't know anyone. I was homesick for my friends but I didn't want to go back, if that makes any sense. The little town I had come from was extremely conservative where our LGBT community was on the down-low. I ended up in a huge city where the LGBT community was in the open. It was scary and refreshing but it still took me a very long time to be comfortable being seen. Hiding was a habit that was hard to break.

What is your super secret, wildest, most outlandish writing dream?

To one day make enough money to afford an assistant who will take care of all my promo. But if I'm going to dream about an assistant then I would also like a log cabin in the woods far, far away from any city. That is about as outlandish as I get.

What sends you into cuteness overload?

Baby elephants. I cannot resist them. I don't want one of mine own because that's just selfish, but if I could just live in a place where I could sit up on a rise and watch the elephants—you would never get me to leave.

Favorite place in the world to write?

I haven't ventured out of my writing cave. I thought a couple of times about spending an afternoon someplace like Starbucks but really, I would get nothing done. Too many people, too much noise. I like silence and sometimes my playlists. Plus, the thought of packing up my stuff and… yeah… nope. So my writing cave is it for me.

Fill in the blank. If I couldn’t write, then I would ____.

I honestly don't know. I spent a couple of decades doing what needed to be done for others, whether I liked the job or not, I did my duty. Now that I'm writing full time, the thought of doing anything else makes me panic. I guess if I had to pick, I would say go to college. I gave up college to help provide for the family and then later I helped to put my husband through twelve years of college. I'm not sure that I will like going back to a classroom but I would give it a try.

And finally, for THE most important question of all: what kinds of dachshunds are the BEST kinds of dachshunds?

Ha! Any kind is the best kind as long as they want you to be their human. :)


Book Blurb:

A Lycan descendant of Gilgamesh and Enkidu, Tristan is not as extraordinary as his ancestors. He is an average warrior, unremarkable throughout. But this fact does not trouble him because he has found his Twin Flame, the one person destined to be his, who will love him unconditionally, life after life. 

Then his Flame betrays him, leaving him shattered and dying. Brokenhearted, Tristan dissolves the sacred bond and leaves. His best friend, Ushna, accompanies him, vowing to guard and protect him, and Tristan slowly comes to realize that love does not require a sacred bond. 

But if he hopes to keep the love he chooses, they will first have to survive ancient secrets, lies, mythical creatures, and the return of absent gods... 

Available from Amazon | Less Than Three Press


BONUS QUESTIONS:

*What inspired you to write Songs of the Earth?
I love shifter stories. The whole destined mates fighting the dangers against the odds for love. They have make me happy. Plus, I love the different takes that spice up the old troupe, you know. A couple of years ago I read a streak of stories of "Mates Behaving Badly" and the one wronged took them back (rather easily) because of the mate bond. I wanted more, so much more that I sat down and wrote the story I wanted heard told, about breaking bonds unhealthy for you. A story about grasping fate by the horns and saying, "You don't know me so well, do you?" Then forging a new path, discovering how to love again and what you would do to keep it.

*Is there anything special you’d like us to know about your book?
Songs of the Earth is a continuation of Twin Flames, a story following Tristan's and Ushna's journey from friends to lovers. They only wish their live were that simple. ^_^ Coming together, they set off a chain of events that will change everything they thought they knew about their people and about themselves. It is a series that needs to be read in order.

*What are your hopes for this title?
I hope this gives the readers something new and different to sink their teeth into. ^_^


About the Author:

Lexi has always been an avid reader and at a young age started reading (secretly) her mother’s romances (the ones she was told not to touch). She was the only teenager she knew of who would be grounded from reading. Later, with a pencil and a note book, she wrote her own stories and shared them with friends because she loved to see their reactions. A Texas transplant, Lexi now kicks her boots up in the Midwest with her Yankee husband and her 80 pound puppies named after vacuum cleaners. 

1 comment:

  1. What fun post. Lexi you are amazing and Raine I enjoy stopping by and seeing who you are hosting on The Hat Party.

    ReplyDelete