Tuesday, December 16, 2014

INTERVIEW: Matthias Williamson

Hello Matthias and welcome to The Hat Party <3 Thank you so much for subjecting yourself to the RANDOMNESS that is a Raine O'Tierney interview! Please don your best hat, and let's get started!


(I am so in love with this hat, btw. --Raine)

What is your super-secret, wildest, most outlandish writing dream? (Nothing is too wild!)

I’d really love to write something that lets young adults realize they can do anything with their lives, and I’d really love to see one of my stories become a film or television show.  Bringing positive GLBT stories to young adults is a dream of mine.

Give us 5 ½ words of wisdom. 

Listen to your muse! Rly, seriously!

Tell us about a time you were changed.

On October 31, 2014, when I said “I Do.”

You’re writing along and you’re attacked by a horde of zombies…ON FIRE…how do you survive? Or do you become a zombie too? 

I’d do everything in my power to survive, I’d make friends with the guy who knew how to shoot a crossbow, I’d remember back to my days on the archery field and I’d figure out exactly how to get the arrow shaking in my hand into that zombie’s head.

You have 200 words—Make. Me. Swoon. (PLEASE!)

This is from a WIP, I’m looking to finish in 2015.
I hung my head and I cried.  For the first time in a long time I really cried.  I couldn’t get the words out.  “But, don’t you see, Aaron Woods, I wanted to stay home.  Yes, there is something really screwed up with … with this.”  I motioned between us. “But, I probably would stay home again, if I got to live their life over again. Kissing you that one time, years ago… I loved it.  When you contacted me and blackmailed me into using Skype with you, well… it was the most action I was getting, even if it was with myself.  I hate saying those words… I hate myself for putting me first.”  I couldn’t get the rest of the words out, tears were streaming down my face and I just stood there, wondering what he saw.  Was he disgusted?  Was he mad that I wouldn’t accept his apology? 
I felt strong arms wrap around my body, felt him pull my head to his shoulder and felt his body shake with trepidation. We stood there, in the middle of the living room.  No fear, just us.  When the tears and crying stopped, I tried to pull away, but he was still riding the wave of closeness.  I looked up into his face; he was only an inch or two taller than me.  A little smile crept across his lips.
“I am very sorry, just the same Benj.  I should have been stronger and just told you how I was feeling.”
I nodded my head and sighed.  “What is that?  What feeling?” I felt warm in his grasp.
“That I wanted to be with you.” He leaned down and left a soft tentative kiss on my lips.  This was a kiss not like the forced one five years ago, this one was gentle, exploring and testing.

Describe yourself using lyrics.

Old, but I'm not that old
Young, but I'm not that bold
And I don't think the world is sold
I'm just doing what we're told

I feel something so right
By doing the wrong thing
And I feel something so wrong
By doing the right thing
I couldn't lie, couldn't lie, couldn't lie
Everything that kills me makes me feel alive

You can go back to any point in your life to give you past self a pep-talk. How old is your past self and what do you say? 

I am talking to my twenty-year old self. Hey guy, don’t be afraid.  Just do it, they didn’t just sign you up because they were being nice.  Accept the rejection and go to the next audition.  Mostly, guy… don’t be afraid, you’ll make it.

Your thoughts on libraries: GO! OMG! I totally wanted to be a librarian when I grew up.  I love books, the smell, the feel, and the heft.  Then there is the Dewey Decimal system, the categorizing, the cataloging, the repair, and the tall shelves.  Oh, Raine… now my muse is pulling things together for me to write about.  The tables, soft, long, beautifully oaken tables and soft chairs, encyclopedias, artwork and old newspapers mesmerize me.  Ephemera, archiving, there are just so many feelings I get when I’m in a library.  Sensuality, mystery and discovery are just a few.

What’s the biggest mistake you’ve made in your career and what did you learn from it?

I’m too new to have made a mistake just yet.  Check back with me next year.

And finally, for THE most important question of all: what kinds of dachshunds are the BEST kinds of dachshunds? 

I absolutely lurve the shorthaired ones.

~ ~ ~

Holidays with Drum and Bell follows the relationship of two high school boys, it begins with Christmas and ends just after graduation.  The story touches on several holidays: Christmas, New Year’s Eve, Valentine’s Day, Saint Patrick’s Day, and Earth Day.
A story from Boughs of Evergreen: A Holiday Anthology 

HOLIDAYS WITH DRUM AND BELL! 
by MATTHIAS WILLIAMSON 

When Jeff drops a card in the lap of meditating Jonah, they begin a journey of discovery and find out that anything is possible. 

* * * * * 

ABOUT BOUGHS OF EVERGREEN 

Boughs of Evergreen is a two-volume collection of short stories celebrating the holiday season in all its diversity. Penned by authors from the UK, the USA, Scandinavia and Eastern Europe, these are tales of the young and the not-so-young from many different walks of life. 

Themes of family, friendship and romance take readers on a journey through some of the major holidays, both past and present, including Thanksgiving, Advent, St. Lucia Day, Hanukkah, Eid, Saturnalia, Winter Solstice, Yule, Christmas and New Year. In each we find at the very least hope, and often love, peace and happiness. 

Proceeds from sales of this anthology will be donated to The Trevor Project. The Trevor Project is the leading national organization [USA] providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) young people ages 13-24.

Excerpt:

I nodded and sipped the hot latte. “And… you don’t like basketball?”

Jonah snorted. “No. It’s not really where my heart is.”

I jumped over the cliff without looking and asked, “And your heart wasn’t with your girl either?”

He gulped his coffee. “No. We fought because I wanted something else. I wanted someone more like…” He took another huge gulp of coffee. Speaking into the huge mug amplified his words. “More like you.” The blush rose in his cheeks.

Breathing coffee, not air, proved not to be the best thing. Coughing ensued, and by coughing, I really mean I was spitting it up as I laughed. Then I made the biggest faux pas. I couldn’t believe there was still coffee left in me, but the next thing I knew it was all over his chest. My face was bright red from the coughing jag and the blush of embarrassment. Foam was everywhere, mostly dripping from my nose, and if his shirt was any indication of what I looked like, I’m pretty sure I looked like a mess.

“Oh my god, Jeff… you…” Jonah ran to the counter and got a cup of water. He also brought some napkins, which he threw at me, and grabbed at my coffee. It was hot and slipped out of his hand, slamming onto the sofa, exploding between us. We were both now covered in latte foam. It was horrendous.

The sound coming from Jonah was nervous and possibly a little hurt, even as I tried to catch my breath from my laughter. “Oh my god… oh god…” Our faces were red, but our voices cracked from all the nervous laughter. Jonah moved as deep into the sofa as he could, and I stopped laughing altogether. We smelled like the Coffee Hut drip tray.

I closed my eyes , trying to figure out how to salvage this date. I needed to let Jonah know the thoughts were mutual; I was looking for someone like him, too. Spitting coffee on him probably didn’t send the right message.

Available from Amazon.com

BONUS QUESTION:

*What inspired you to write Holidays with Drum and Bell? 
Would you believe that the characters just started talking to me?  I had nothing planned out.  In fact, when I first started it was very depressing; it took place in a hospital with kids who tried to kill themselves at Christmas.  I read it and thought this is too dark, too depressing.  Then I sat down and thought about a favorite part of the campus in the story and what would happen if this guy just made the first move.  Everything else just came from Drum and Bell.
*Is there anything special you’d like us to know about your short story? I plan on expanding the story into a novel in 2015.
*What are your hopes for this title? Something I keep hearing is that people hated to put it down, they wanted to know what was going to happen next.  And that they smiled a lot.  I want people to be happy, and hope that living through Drum and Bell can help them out.
About the Author:

Matthias Williamson has always had characters in his head. There were times when he was little when he couldn’t go to sleep because there was too much talking going on. He finally stopped one day and started writing what the characters were saying, and stories emerged. Finally, he’s finishing the stories.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Love the hat. Can't wait to read the expanded story next year

    ReplyDelete