Thursday, August 28, 2014

INTERVIEW: A. Morell plus #Scavengerhunt!

The gorgeous A. Morell returns to us again with her striking ensemble! (I want to steal  that hat right off her head <3) Make sure you check out her birthday bash scavenger hunt for your chance to win a copy of Puncture Wounds!

Hello A and welcome to The Hat Party! <3 Thank you so much for subjecting yourself to the RANDOMNESS that is a Raine O'Tierney interview! Please don your best hat, and let's get started!

So happy to be here again! 8D




Tell us about a time you had someone do you a great kindness.

Hm... that's tough. Not because no one's ever done me a great kindness, but because sometimes the smallest kindnesses have had the greatest impact on me. One I'll never forget was when I was ten years old. I had saved up money doing extra chores around the house to buy a real (“real”) Cardcaptor Sakura Clow Book toy that was just like the one from the anime, which at the time was the most amazing thing I'd seen in my life (still a great series, in my opinion). It was something like $9.95. I rode my bike all the way downtown to Blockbuster, my $10 in hand, and proudly walked up to the register with my purchase all by myself.

I didn't know about sales tax at the time.

I still don't know how much it was exactly, but I do remember the total came to $10.25, and I didn't even have a single extra quarter on me. I was completely crestfallen. Just as I was consigning myself to having to leave empty-handed, the young man behind the counter just told me to go ahead and take it, throwing in the extra quarter himself and making my whole summer. I've never forgotten it, and I still have that book to this day.


You’ve been given the opportunity to go back in time and give your 13-year-old self a message. What do you say?

You'll carry this with you the rest of your life, but you'll be stronger for it.


What food do you consider your arch nemesis?

Food and I get along quite well, so it depends on how one defines “nemesis” here. If it's one I can't stand, I'll say oysters. I'm sorry, it's the texture! Blurgh. If it's one that constantly betrays the love I have for it, probably cake.

Mm, cake...


Describe yourself using a literary quote.

“Girls aren't very good at keeping maps in their brains", said Edmund, "That's because we've got something in them", replied Lucy.”


You have 200 (more) words—Make. Me. Swoon. (PLEASE!)

Ford had thought his first vision of Brandon—demeanor cold, guns blazing, aim unfaltering—had been the sexiest thing he'd ever seen. But with Brandon seated delicately in the center of the bed, vulnerable in nothing but the bed sheets, he stood corrected.

It had a lot to do with Ford having been with him through every step of this precarious journey, but Ford felt in every fiber of his being that had this been their first time meeting, he'd have been just as robbed of breath.

The sight of skin untouched by love before him; the nervous fingers that gently twisted the sheets; the slight bow of the head that he understood now to be a sign of trust.

Ford moved closer, perched beside him. With a gentle nudge to his chin, Brandon's eyes shut briefly before he lifted them to meet Ford's.

"Your hair's getting long," Ford whispered. He tucked some behind Brandon's left ear, exposing the long scar over his discoloured eye.

Ford felt heat flush under his fingertips. A heartbeat later, Brandon let the sheets fall. His face tilted up, his silent demand for a kiss.

Ford had never denied him anything; he wasn't about to start now.


What makes you inexplicably happy?

Cute stationary. And in a similar vein, cute packaging.


Sing us a song!

Beeees, they'll buzz, kids'll blow dandelion fuzz, and I'll be doing whatever snow does in sumMERRR--*bricked*


Biggest mistake you’ve made in your writing career and what you’ve learned from it.

My career's still kind of a baby, so hopefully there won't be a huge mistake waiting for me, but it's always a risk when you're learning as you go. So far I can only say what I learned from one of my earliest (unpublished) works is to never write something just for the sake of making it different, and to instead just write whatever the story calls for in order to find its best form.

And finally, you’ve just inherited a dachshund farm. What do you do now?

Roll in the giant piles of wiggly puppy love, obviously.


~ ~ ~
James is at the end of a long crusade for vengeance against the vampire clan that destroyed everything he held dear. He has Ren, the final and most dangerous of them all, cornered at last in London. But victory remains just out of reach when Ren sets a feral vampire on James and makes his escape. With no other leads, James is forced to take in the feral until he can use its connection to its sire to track down Ren. But in caring for the vampire, James sees they might not all be the monsters he thought them to be. Faced with an ugly truth, his quest for revenge becomes a war for retribution, and the discovery of what it truly means to be human.

BONUS QUESTIONS:

Ooh bonus questions!

*What inspired you to write Puncture Wounds?

I have a thing for imagining my characters as vampires. This began partially as just me indulging myself in an alternate universe, and partially ironing out some details for the future with a certain vampire character near and dear to my heart. Of course, in writing Puncture Wounds, it became quite its own thing, and turned out a lot darker than I imagined. Not that I have a problem with that.

*Is there anything special you’d like us to know about your book?

If you've read my other one, Change of Fortune, you may recognize the main characters a bit... like I said, I do enjoy alternate universes.


*What are your hopes for this title?

For the title itself, I just hope that it sticks with someone. For myself, I hope that it serves to inspire me to try for that first novel-length title.

James is at the end of a long crusade for vengeance against the vampire clan that destroyed everything he held dear. He has Ren, the final and most dangerous of them all, cornered at last in London. But victory remains just out of reach when Ren sets a feral vampire on James and makes his escape. With no other leads, James is forced to take in the feral until he can use its connection to its sire to track down Ren. But in caring for the vampire, James sees they might not all be the monsters he thought them to be. Faced with an ugly truth, his quest for revenge becomes a war for retribution, and the discovery of what it truly means to be human.

For an exclusive preview of Puncture Wounds, hop over to my BirthdayBash! Join the scavenger hunt for a chance to win a free copy on release day!

Visit me at the Dreamspinner store...

And treat yourself to a free summer read!





About the Author: 

A. Morell has been writing for fun for the past decade. She once dreamed of being a professional chef—now she knows better and is taking a stab at becoming an author. Without so much as a Creative Writing 101 class under her belt it's a bit of a stab in the dark, but she is comfortable flying by the seat of her pants.

She enjoys food, baseball, classics, word games, tattoos, shoes, handbags, escapism, and creating characters. She is averse to over-used words, spiders, zombies, tardiness, camping, and people who misquote movie lines and lyrics. She has one cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment