Saturday, May 17, 2014

INTERVIEW: Alexa Land

Today we're talking to Alexa Land, who originally approached me about the Party, shaky with nerves. She went on to then ROCK her interview 'cause she's a LIONHEART!
Hello Alexa and welcome to The Hat Party! <3 Thank you so much for subjecting yourself to the RANDOMNESS that is a Raine O'Tierney interview! Please don your best hat, and let's get started!
Hi Raine, thanks for interviewing me! I’m a big fan of randomness in general, and your interviews in particular! :D

(Thank YOU, Alexa!)
Have you ever done a literal double-take in your life?
Why yes, yes I have! Let me set the scene for you: the year was 1984. The location: Grad Night at Disneyland. My ensemble: a dress with a full skirt, flats (because I’m freakishly tall), and flesh-toned pantyhose over granny panties (both because it was 1984, and because I was a dork with NO style). My favorite band in all the world was performing that night (they were called Sparks, in case you’re wondering, and I was totally in love with the lead singer, which was so very seventeen-year-old-girl of me). I was giddy with excitement, as only a teen girl can be.
As my BFF Ingrid and I were standing in front of the castle, she said, “Wow, I can’t believe you didn’t react to that.”
“React to what?” I asked.
(By now you’re thinking I’ve totally forgotten the original “have you ever done a literal double take” question, I know. But to that I say, waaaait for it!)
“The lead singer of Sparks just walked by,” Ingrid informed me. “I thought you’d freak out.”
I hadn’t noticed anything of the sort, and was pretty sure Ingrid was just yanking my chain. She was like that. I glanced over my shoulder, then turned back to my friend. It took a second for my brain to process that I had, in fact, just spotted the object of my teenage obsession a mere few feet away from me.
What followed was the biggest double-take in the history of double-takes. The double-take was, in fact, so massive that I lost all control, my new flats skidding on slick castle cobblestone as I spun around. I landed on my back, feet sticking up in the air, skirt up over my head, pantyhose and granny panties on full display right there in front of Sleeping Beauty’s castle, God, a ton of teenage boys, and the lead singer of my favorite band.
It was, in fact, the mother of all double-takes.
*Bowing as you applaud, just like the crowd that watched the crowning achievement of my awkward teen years.*
So, you were editing along and zombies attack. And they are on fire! What do you do?
Grab a stick and some marshmallows! They’re already on fire, so I figure this problem will pretty much take care of itself. Nothing I need to do about it, aside from seizing the opportunity for some tasty, tasty s’mores!
What one food item do you consider to be your arch nemesis?
Donuts. Damn you, evil circles of ass-expanding deliciousness!
Describe yourself using song lyrics.
Right now, I’m kind of feeling the lyrics to “On Top of the World” by Imagine Dragons. Following a craptastic divorce, and as I stumble along blindly in my relatively new writing career, I can relate to the notion of pushing ahead no matter what:
I coulda gave up then but
Then again I couldn’t have ’cause
I’ve traveled all this way for something....
I take it in but don’t look down....
And I know it’s hard when you’re falling down
And it’s a long way up when you hit the ground
Get up now, get up, get up now.
Yep.
If you could pay someone to do one part of your writing/publication process for you, what would it be?
Promotion, hands down! I love writing, but trying to pimp my books is a shy person’s nightmare, ugggghhhh (sound of dying a slow, horrible death as a result of cheesy self-promotion)!
You have 200 words—Make. Me. Swoon. (PLEASE!)
I’ve always liked this scene from In Pieces, the third book in my Firsts and Forever series. Plus, a charming young gay man wrote to me recently and asked to use a couple lines from this scene in his wedding vows, so to me that’s pretty much the swoon-worthy seal of approval.  :)
“You know,” I said, “You’re marrying the first guy you ever slept with. Aren’t you going to feel, somewhere down the road, like you missed out? You never got to date different guys, or experience the whole San Francisco gay singles scene, or any of that.”
“I hit the jackpot with my very first lottery ticket. Why on Earth would I wish I had bought a ton of other losing tickets first?”
I chuckled at that. “Good analogy.”
“Thank you.”
“But really, though.”
Kieran propped himself up on his elbow and brushed the hair back from my eyes. “I missed nothing, and I know that for a fact because I have absolutely everything, right here. You astonish me, and fulfill me, and care for me, and make me feel so incredibly loved, and I’ll spend every day of the rest of my life trying to make you as happy as you make me.”
What makes you inexplicably happy?
A lot of things make me “explicably” happy, like time spent with my kiddo. But in the inexplicable category, I’d have to go with superhero movies. I started watching them because of my ten year old son, but now I’m hooked! I pretty much stuffed my child under my arm like a football and ran to the theater with him on opening day to see Thor: Dark World. Mmmmm, Thor. :P
Would you rather read a spicy sex scene to your family or do a reading (of any passage!) for a room of 350?
Oh, the room full of strangers, no doubt! I say that even though I’m terrified of public speaking. The only thing worse than that: letting my parents anywhere near one of my sex scenes! Holy crap, I’m traumatized just thinking about it!

Biggest mistake you’ve made in your writing career and what you’ve learned from it.

Letting negative reviews get to me. I’m lucky that I haven’t received a ton of ‘em, but every single one has hurt way more than it should. I’m the kind of person that can get twenty awesome reviews and one bad one, and the bad one is all I think about. I’m learning not to let other people’s negativity get to me, but it’s definitely a work in progress. Someday, I will be strong enough to read a bad review, not be hurt at all, and then invite the reviewer to SUCK IT! :)

And finally, for THE most important question of all: what kinds of dachshunds are the BEST kinds of dachshunds?

The kind that do this! :)


~ ~ ~

Can two men from wildly different worlds prove to be each other’s salvation?

Trevor isn’t surprised that he’s a twenty-year-old virgin. He sees himself as skinny, clumsy, and shy, and is sure no one could possibly want him. Vincent Dombruso is about to prove him wrong.

Mysterious and troubled, Vincent masks a lot of secrets behind his handsome exterior. As the spark between them ignites, both men are surprised to find a kindred spirit in such an unexpected place. But Vincent’s Mafia ties and whatever he's not telling Trevor could destroy their chances of a happily ever after.

Available from Amazon.com | Smashwords
Excerpt:
I watched him for a few moments. In the dim light, his eyes were black behind his glasses, his expression totally unreadable. “You only met me a few hours ago,” I said. “Why would you want to give me a ride home?”
“I was concerned for your safety.”
“Is that the only reason you’re here?”
After a moment, he admitted, “I kept thinking about the way we left it when I dropped you off.”
“I don’t know what came over me. I really don’t make a habit of kissing people I barely know, and—”
Vincent cut off my awkward explanation by gently taking hold of my upper arms and brushing his lips to mine. My hands came up and gripped the lapels of his suit jacket as I sank into that kiss, every part of my body stirring to life.

When I finally pulled back from him, my voice was a little rough as I asked, “How did you know I’d be off at two? I was actually only scheduled to work until ten, not that you would have known that either.”
“I’ve been out here a while.”
“How long is a while?”
“Don’t ask.”
“Why not?”
“Because,” he said with just the faintest grin, “it’d sound ridiculous if I admitted I’ve been out here for the last three hours.”
“Have you really?”
“No. It was a little over four, but that sounds completely crazy and desperate, so I rounded it down to three.” That grin still tugged at the corner of his lips.
I smiled at that. “What have you been doing to pass the time?”
“Reading.”
“Good answer.”
His grin got just a bit bigger. “Is it?”
I nodded and told him, “It shows we have something in common. I love reading.”
“We have something else in common, too.”
“What’s that?”
“This.” He tilted my chin up with a gentle touch, his lips meeting mine again. I put my arms around him this time and held him to me as we kissed, letting my eyes slide shut, sinking into it.
“Oh yeah,” I murmured when we broke apart. “That too.”
“Come on,” he said, taking my hand. “It’s really late, let me get you home.”
“Okay.”
But then I pulled him to me and kissed him again as he tangled his fingers in my hair. When I slid my tongue between his lips, he sucked it gently and a little moan escaped me. I wrapped my arms around him again, holding him tightly, my hands splayed out on his broad back. God he felt good, so strong and solid. I slid my hands down to his narrow waist, but then something at his lower back made me hesitate.
I looked up at him. “Is that a gun in your waistband?” His expression was grave as he nodded, just once.
Alexa’s next book in the Firsts and Forever Series, Skye Blue, will be available this summer!
About the Author:
Alexa Land writes and independently publishes M/M romances. She was born in Southern California and has been on a gradual northern migration ever since, having lived in Santa Cruz, San Francisco and now Oregon. Learn more about her books at: http://alexalandwrites.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @AlexaLandWrites

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for interviewing me, Raine! I had SO MUCH FUN!! Hugs to you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for stopping by! Please, please, please consider coming again! <3

      Delete
  2. Great interview!! Ms Land, I'm a huge fan. I do have all of the books, but haven't read Salvation yet. Soon.. Christopher Robbin is my favorite.. Just love him. I love the unlikely yet believable pairing of your MC's.

    Thanks, Raine!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kari, thank you so much for your sweet comment! Here's a little secret: Christopher Robin is my favorite, too. He'll always have a special place in my heart. Hugs to you!! <3 :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun, funny, serious, action, deadly, inventive plots and long stories with men who act like gay men not-chicks-with-dicks or other standard M/M tropes and plot devices. A world where all good looking guy sare gay and gay marriage isn't just legal it's mandatory. Lots of stirring reading with the safety of knowing there will be a happily-ever-after.Sexy. HOT, and character matches the likes I never seen before. I'm having such a hard time waiting for late summer to read Skye Blue. Unlike some other authors Alexa Land keeps the prices low on her brilliant books I can afford to buy them all.

    ReplyDelete