Monday, April 21, 2014

INTERVIEW: Teegan Loy

Today we're talking to Teegan Loy who looks totally kickass in a hockey helmet. Adore this lady!


Hello Teegan and welcome to "Home of the Sweetness" <3 Thank you so much for subjecting yourself to the RANDOMNESS that is a Raine O'Tierney interview! Please don your best hat, and let's get started!



Before we get into the interview, I have to say, it’s hard to rock a hockey helmet. How do the boys do it? I definitely don’t have the correct hair.

Favorite thing I’ve ever written?

My name is Teegan Loy and I love hockey, and writing about hockey. I actually like writing about a lot of things, but since this new release involves figure skating and hockey, I thought I should put that out there. I’ve been seriously writing since 2010. My first published piece came out in the summer of 2012. Most people would guess I’d pick my first published piece as my favorite, but it doesn’t even come close. My favorite piece is the first story I ever wrote from beginning to end. I was clueless, so I wrote freely, with no expectations or pressure. My only drive was to tell the story. I’d never completed any sort of creative writing unless it was a class assignment or something due for the student newspaper. To say I was thrilled when I typed fin is an understatement of epic proportion. I still think about that story, and maybe one day, I’ll go back and rework it.

If you could go back in time and have a conversation with your 13-year-old self right now, what would you say?

My 13-year-old self was an idiot. But aren’t most 13 year olds? I’d tell myself to enjoy the time with my friends and family. Things change so fast, and in the blink of an eye, you’re an adult, with bills and responsibilities. Blah. Find what you love and do it well.

What is your biggest, most wildest, most extreme writing dream or goal?

This is an easy question, because when I write, I see the story as a movie constantly playing in my head. Wouldn’t it be ultra-fabulous to see your story up on the big screen. I often wonder what JK Rowling thinks when she goes to the Harry Potter theme park? I’d be thinking how cool it was, and that this shit came out of my head. And then I’d stroll down Diagon Alley and pick up my wand at Ollivander’s.

Describe yourself using song lyrics.

I don’t if these lyrics describe me, but they’ve stayed with me for years. The lyrics are from the song NAME by the Goo Goo Dolls. The whole song is wonderful. Here’s a portion.

And scars are souvenirs you never lose
The past is never far
Did you lose yourself somewhere out there?
Did you get to be a star?
And don't it make you sad to know that life
Is more than who we are

We grew up way too fast
And now there's nothing to believe
And reruns all become our history
A tired song keeps playing on a tired radio
And I won't tell no one your name

People – basically, good or bad?

Most days I believe good, but there are days that leave me wondering. The Internet makes it incredibly easy for people to hide behind anonymity.

Make me swoon in two hundred words.

Er, how about a heavy sigh. This is from Picks & Pucks.

“I can’t do this anymore,” he whispered, nuzzling against my neck. “I fucking want to, but I can’t. I have a girlfriend, an image.”
“No one knows,” I said. “I didn’t tell anyone. I swear. No one has to know about us. Jack is gone. I don’t think he recognized you. Please, Danny, I love you so much.”
He touched my face, pushing the hair away from my eyes. “Someone always finds out, and if you didn’t already know, hockey players aren’t gay.”
He slowly pulled out of my grasp and turned his back on me. He gathered his clothes and got dressed. And just like that, it was over.
I sighed and realized he was going to be one of those guys who had two lives. One life would be for the public, where he projected a happily married guy with a wife and kids; the other life would be buried in dark hotels and seedy bars.

What is one mistake you’ve made during your writing career that you’ve learned and grown from?

Not doing enough research before submitting to a publisher. Do your homework, people. Not everyone is reputable.

How do you think you’d handle yourself in a zombie apocalypse?

That totally depends on the zombies. If they looked like R (Nicholas Hoult) from Warm Bodies, I’d be great. If they were like the zombies in the Walking Dead… Well, I’m a big chicken and would probably end up a zombie or dead or crazy.

What important thing would you give up in order to continue writing?

I think I’ve already done that… I only work part, part time, so right now, I’ve given up a steady paycheck.

What kinds of dachshunds are the BEST kinds of dachshunds?

Erm, I have two cats, and at the moment, my fat, crabby girl cat is giving me the evil eye. Yes, Zoey, you are the best.

~ ~ ~

Rising men’s figure skating star, Justin Corrin, is coming home to train for the upcoming season and face his demons. The last thing Justin needs is to fall in love with a hockey player. Instead of getting rid of his demons, Justin is collecting more. He tries desperately to control his growing feelings for CJ Daly, but finds being with CJ keeps his nightmares away.

Justin isn’t the only one with problems, and hidden fears and secrets threaten to separate the two. With the pressure mounting, CJ starts to pull away, and Justin doesn’t know why. His skating suffers, and he decides to stop wasting his time on love and focus on winning the nationals.

If Justin can destroy his demons, he might have a chance for happiness on and off the ice. But if the demons win, Justin’s life could be ruined.

Available at Dreamspinner Press

Excerpt:
 “He’s not here. He fucking forgot me. I knew this was a terrible idea,” I muttered. The guy walking next to me eyed me and walked faster.
“Hi, sweetheart.”
I froze as a voice I hadn’t heard for a year permeated the air. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and the demons surrounding me high-fived each other and flipped me off. It couldn’t be him. Surely fate wasn’t that cruel.
“Welcome back,” he said as he came up behind me and took the bags out of my hands.
I couldn’t pretend that voice was my overactive imagination. I sighed, opened my eyes, and stared at Danny Jackson. Most normal people would enjoy the view of his broad shoulders, lean and muscled body, and wide smile. But I wasn’t most people.
“What the fuck are you doing here?” I snarled. This was the last thing I needed right now. The guy was an A1 douche bag, a festering blister on my foot.
“Daddy dearest sent me to fetch you. He’s busy.”
“Of course he is,” I muttered bitterly. “And he had to send you.”
“I must confess, he didn’t send me. I volunteered.” He smiled brightly and flipped the beanie off my head, then dangled it in front of my face. “Your hair is longer. Your father will not approve. And is that an earring I see? Always the troublemaker.” He reached for a stray strand of hair, but I batted his hand away and snatched my beanie back.
“Fuck off,” I grumbled, heading toward the exit. I smashed the beanie on my head and tucked my light-brown hair under the material.
“Is that any way to talk to your taxi driver?”
“I don’t want to talk to you at all.”
“Oh, Justin, how I’ve missed your wiseass mouth.”
“I haven’t missed anything about you.”
He stopped abruptly and stared at me, pursing his lips and making kissing noises at me. “You wound me. I’m sure there’s something you missed.”
“Nope.”
The demons cackled, yelling liar, liar in my ear. Danny grabbed his junk and winked at me, so I rolled my eyes and shoved him. Several girls brushed by us, giggling and pointing at him.

Thanks for having me at the hat party, Raine. It’s been fun.

Please join me today over at the Dreamspinner Blog for giveaways and … I really have no idea what I’m going to blog about, so it should be interesting. https://dreamspinnerpress.com/blog/

About the Author:

Teegan Loy began writing a long time ago. Notebooks filled with ideas were stacked around the house. One day, she sat down with renewed ambition and something fantastic happened: she completed a story. Now most of her time is spent writing, but she takes occasional breaks to go to the movies, where she imagines her stories on the big screen. She also enjoys watching hockey, filling her iPod with music, and driving her daughter around town to various activities.

You can find Teegan at
Twitter: @teeganloy

1 comment:

  1. Loved the interview, and can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete