Saturday, April 19, 2014

INTERVIEW: Jamie Broxson

Today we're talking to one of my favorite people--Jamie Broxson! I met Jamie when I first signed on with Dreamspinner Press and have to say, she is an absolute delight.

Hello Jamie and welcome to The Hat Party! <3 Thank you so much for subjecting yourself to the RANDOMNESS that is a Raine O'Tierney interview! Please don your best hat, and let's get started!






Thank you for having me! I'm thrilled to be here! I adore the randomness :D *throws confetti* Warning! Jamie Broxson goes off on rabbit trails, exaggerates, and gets a little weird. But who doesn't love that? I couldn't find any of my good, fun hats! (we are mid-move) But here is a throwback to POTC premiere, the hat I would've worn for this! I'm the one on the far right! But to be fair, here is a normal hat pic from this week too lol.
  
You have three words, describe your writing dreams.
----Steady, Successful, Improving :)

On a scale 1 (super chill) to 10 (falling apart at the seams) how cool are you under the pressure of blurb writing?!
---- I am all over the place when it comes to blurb writing! For example, with Silk Monsoon, I started out with that excited, butterflies in the stomach feeling. Lets say a 3.

No problem *cracks knuckles and goes to type* Maxwell Trifton....uhh...*delete* In the steamy jungles of India...*delete* 

That goes on for about 10 minutes, till that little evil voice in my head comes out. "This is awful, you are such a boring writer."...etc 

That's when I go into panic mode, spiraling into this dramatic display of dispair that slams into the 10. After I wallow in that for awhile, I get determined (6), and write this LONG novel of a blurb.

Then have to shorten it, which has me sliding back and forth on the mental scale from 1-10 like melting butter on a skillet! 

I hear it gets easier with future books, but that's just a rumor lol ;)

If you could go back and speak to your 13-year-old self, what would you say?

----"Girl, shit's about to get crazy. Know your worth, know yourself, know your friends. Believe adults when they tell you that this is just teenage drama, that everything will pass and you won't even care about these issues in a few years. Keep your head high, and don't let anyone tear you down. You will grow from everything you experience; and you may not be anything like you pictured, but you are worth something, and you've changed lives. Also..you're a big, sexy, geek in the future, go ahead and embrace it <3"

A genre-specific virus has attacked you, rendering you INCAPABLE of writing your chosen genre. What do you do now?!

----Sob as I watch Yaoi and mourn the books I can never finish. The voices of MCs in my head would probably drive me mad till I found a way to tell their tale. I would find a loophole! Till then I would write in the other genres I like! 

I would complete my Fantasy trilogy, work on some scifi, and I'd have to throw in some M/F romance and erotica! 

Describe yourself using song lyrics.
This is the hardest question I've ever gotten in my life apparently lol...

Does this count, cuz its echoing in my head.

"Whoooo are you...who, who, who, who?" haha

Tell me your zombie apocalypse survival plan.

----We have this place out in the woods, a fortified homesteading community, that has given us a chance to start prepping and all that jazz.  Grab our bug out bags, axes, and head for the camp!

You have 200 words—Make. Me. Swoon. (PLEASE!)

“Don’t ever be ashamed to cry in front of me. I will always comfort you if you will let me. Hell, I will even if you don’t allow it,” Jake laughed, petting Max’s hair. 

Max smiled and chuckled, wiping back the wetness from his eyes. “It couldn’t have been anyone else. I have never shown so much emotion in front of another man before. I suppose there’s just something about you that affects me, even though it frustrates and annoys me at times as well.” 

“As long as I keep you smiling, that’s what matters. I don’t think a face so striking as yours should be assaulted by tears.” 

Max felt his face warm. “Jake, really, I….” 

“No, please. I know it’s not appropriate, what I say to you. But I need to say it. I have never felt such a strong attraction to someone, not only sexually, but emotionally as well. I feel it a 
sin not to tell you how much you have shaken me. I’m not a perfect man, nor deserving of your attention, but I long for it. You weaken me with every glance, yet I simultaneously find 
myself able to take on the world.” 

“Jake, why are you saying this?” 

“I am falling in love with you, Maxwell Trifton.” 

What is your most irrational fear and what makes you inexplicably happy?

----Living in Pensacola, I get to enjoy the lovely waters of the Gulf of Mexico.  Biggest fear? Sharks! I am constantly on the lookout. Those beasts are beautiful but terrify me. I know the likelihood of me being attacked, or even nudged by a shark are very slim, but I don't care! I never go past a certain depth, never go out alone, and never get in if I can't see the bottom haha. 

Which reminds me! I'm terrified of deep, dark water in general. River, beach, lake, whatever. If I can't see in the water, or touch bottom, or both at the same time...I'm probably drowning from panic so save me!

As for what makes me inexplicably happy? That would be animals!  I am a HUGE animal lover, and being around them just automatically makes my day better! (Yes that includes sharks, I'm conflicted, I know) With 4 dogs, 1 cat, 2 turtles, and 1 bearded dragon, I know just where to go when I need a pick me up..home! Or the zoo... :)  

To make me overload on happiness, take me to an alligator preserve or something. Crocodilians are my favorite animals of all time. RAWR

Worst mistake you’ve made in your career and what you’ve learned from it?

--Doubting myself. I haven't suffered from many mistakes yet and am on the early tracks of my career. But there are many stories, books, fanfictions that I never finished because I didn't think they were good enough. If I don't start from somewhere, I will never improve!

Also, hiding away in a corner won't get me anywhere, so avoiding any kind of socializing and promoting my books is only hurting myself.

And finally, for THE most important question of all: what kinds of dachshunds are the BEST kinds of dachshunds?

My dachshund is the BEST kind ;) She's up my ass constantly (I've tripped over her countless times), somehow puts ten times her body weight in one paw when she stands on me (giving me bruises), and sweats me out from under the covers at night (shes like a furnace). I wouldn't trade her for the world lol. She's always there when I need her, and the smartest dog I've ever owned :) Spoiled rotten! Let me spam you with her adorableness!


~ ~ ~


When Maxwell Trifton learns his father is dying, he sails to India to assume his duties as heir to the Trifton Silk legacy. Having spent his youth in London, he has forgotten the ways of the exotic land, and he’s never had a chance to learn his role. While helping Maxwell learn the ropes, Jake Graeme, factory supervisor and son of a wealthy investor, also shows him a side of India he’s never known. Mysterious yet down to earth, Jake intrigues Maxwell. Likewise, despite Jake’s intentions, his attraction to Maxwell is unstoppable. Soon, the two are caught up in a passionate affair. But Trifton Silk harbors hidden treachery, and when Maxwell's father dies, Maxwell and Jake face a dangerous foe. They must fight for all they’re worth to save the Trifton legacy―and to hold onto their chance at happily ever after. 

Excerpt:  

Max continued to study the pictures as Jake finished off  his tea and walked behind him to place the cup on the table. 

Max shivered as Jake slithered up close behind him. He placed his hands on Max’s hips, and buried his face in Max’s neck. Jake kissed it tenderly, drawing a trail up to one of Max’s earlobes and flicking it back and forth with his tongue. Max hissed and melted into Jake’s arms. 

“The first time I saw you, I wanted nothing more than to do these things to you,” Jake whispered in his ear, sending chills down Max’s back. “Every position.” 

Max began to shake, letting the cup slip from his hands. “Oh no!” 

Jake grabbed Max’s arm and spun him around before he could reach to clean the broken pieces. “I don’t care about the cup, Maxwell.” He backed Max up, past the shattered teacup and against the wall, bracing one arm over their heads as he pushed himself into Max’s growing erection. Max whimpered as he clung to the wall, letting Jake’s 
mouth continue to claim his neck. “Jake, I… we can’t….” 

Jake pulled back and looked deeply into Max’s eyes. “Don’t tell me we can’t. Forget what society says you are supposed to feel, and embrace what you really want. I want you in more ways than I can explain. Just let me show you once more. If you still want to push me away after that, I promise I will use every ounce of strength I have to stay away.” 

Max felt as if a knife plunged into him. He didn’t want this to stop. He didn’t want Jake to leave. He pulled Jake close to him and kissed him passionately. Their tongues battled for dominance as their bodies intertwined against the wall.

Follow these links to buy Silk Monsoon and read the whole story!

Dreamspinner Press | Amazon

About the Author:

Jamie Broxson was born and raised in a small town of Northwest Florida, just outside of sunny Pensacola. From K4-12th grade, Jamie attended a conservative, private academy, where she found a love of literature and history.

During her high-school years, her friends introduced her to anime and manga, which led to her own personal discovery of yaoi. Her obsession with the addicting, passionate tales of men in love gave her the inspiration to write her own stories.

Abandoning her angsty, teenage poetry, Jamie's first attempt at M/M came through fan-fictions of her favorite pairings, which she had to hide from her conservative teachers and classmates. Years later, after urging from friends and fans, Jamie penned and submitted her first novel, which was accepted by Dreamspinner Press.

Jamie now spends her days at home with her husband writing epic tales of man love, but mostly perfects the art of procrastination by watching Netflix and smothering her eleven pets with love.

Follow Jamie on Twitter, Blogger, and Facebook!
Twitter: @JBroxsonAuthor 
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JamieBroxsonAuthor
Blogger: http://www.JamieBroxson.com
Or personally e-mail her at Jamie.Broxson@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment