Wednesday, March 12, 2014

INTERVIEW: Jessica Skye Davies

Today we are talking to Jessica Skye Davies who comes to us wearing her 1920s-inspired cloche hat and drinking a vanilla latte!

Hello Jessica and welcome to The Hat Party! <3 Thank you so much for subjecting yourself to the RANDOMNESS that is a Raine O'Tierney interview! Please don your best hat, and let's get started!


What was the trigger that made you first get really serious about being a Capital A Author?

I knew some other writers who had published their work in the M/M genre and I kinda figured, “well, why not give it a go?”  As it happened, it worked out well.  At the time, I really just figured there wasn’t exactly anything to lose.  The worst they could say would be “no thanks” and though I’d be rather disappointed I’d just keep on writing anyway.  So, I suppose it was that first publishing contract (and first royalties) that made me say, “oh, people will pay to read my writing.”  It wasn’t until around the time I got the contract for my third publication that I really said, “wow… this is, like, for real, isn’t it?”

You can go back to any point in your life to give your past self a pep-talk. How old is your past self and what do you say?
How about going back a month ago and assuring myself that, yes, winter will end?  Although, I’ve not actually verified that yet…. 

What is your secret writing dream? (Your most wild, outlandish dream!)
To live in a posh hotel suite, writing and ordering up room service all the rest of my days. 

If writing were poisonous to you, would you continue to do it?
Well, that’s silly.  Of course writing isn’t poisonous!  I feel… fine…. I’m perfectly… arrrrggghhhh…!

Describe yourself using song lyrics.
“But I want love, just a different kind
I want love, won't break me down
Won't brick me up, won't fence me in
I want a love, that don't mean a thing
That's the love I want, I want love”
(“I Want Love,” Elton John)

Would you walk across the country on foot for the assurance of a Big Six publishing contract?
Across the US?  Nope, I’d stay small!  Honestly, I do feel I have much more “control” over my writing and input into the whole process with “small” publishing.  I’d love to have the readership a Big Six might afford, but when it comes to artistic integrity, I’m very happy where I am.

You have 200 words—Make. Me. Swoon. (PLEASE!)
Here’s one of the less gritty moments from Sins of Another, after Padrig and Nick have found one another again and are trying to rebuild their lives and their lost relationship:

I lean across the centre console to hug Nick.  Even in that awkward position, it still feels right.  I feel him exhale like it’s the end of a long day and he’s finally lying his head down for a rest.
“I love you, too, Nick,” I whisper beside his ear.  He holds on to me like he doesn’t ever want to let go.  Eventually we move apart, somewhat reluctantly. 
“Maybe we can have dinner some night soon?” Nick suggests.
“For definite.  Just tell me when and where.”
“I’ll ring you tomorrow, then.”
“Okay.”  Nick stops me reaching for the handle with his hand on my arm.
“Would it be okay if I ask for a kiss?  Just a small one, ‘to build a dream on?’”
“Yeah, I could do that,” I say with a smile.
That night, for the first time in a long, long time, I fall asleep without feeling lonely.

What is one mistake you’ve made during your writing career that you’ve learned and grown from?

Oh crikey!  Believing that photos on the interwebs are safe to share (not talking NSFW here).  Not so, not so!

What is your most irrational fear and what makes you inexplicably happy?

Inexplicably happy?  The occasional grey day when you can just snuggle in with a latte and a good story (book or film).  Irrational fear?  That I actually know absolutely nothing about what I’m trying to do in life.  But that’s probably secretly common among post-graduate students (I seriously hope!)

And finally, for THE most important question of all: what kinds of dachshunds are the BEST kinds of dachshunds?

Ones dressed as lobsters, like this: http://www.speakingforspot.com/Images/MartyMcFly.jpg

* * * * 

One morning Padrig Kennedy comes home to find his partner, Nick Glenfielding, in bed with another man. Shocked, hurt, and vulnerable, Padrig flees and meets a stranger who seems to offer comfort—but he force-feeds Padrig a steady diet of drugs and prostitution instead. When he finally surfaces from his hell, it’s to another system shock: he’s now HIV positive.

Nick descends into darkness as well. Devastated by losing Padrig, he finds no consolation in the legal career he doesn’t love and tries to find solace in alcohol, spending his days in an ever-deepening haze.

Padrig and Nick find each other again, but their relationship can never be the same. If they’re to stand any chance of a future together, they must do the improbable: make sense of the past and learn to cope with new burdens they’ll bear for life. 







Available at Dreamspinner Press!

About the Author: 
Jessica Skye Davies has been a writer since her first works were “published” in her grandparents’ living room and written in crayon. She is a lifelong native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where she has been active in the community, including serving as library director on the executive board of a local GLBT community center. Outside of writing, Jessica has a wide range of interests and hobbies: from Mozart in a music hall to punk in pubs, from Shakespeare to Vonnegut, from salsa dancing the night away to afternoon coffee in the square to kicking back with a good movie. She loves meeting new people and exploring new places, always open to whatever elements might inspire her next writing project.

Visit Jessica at:
Blog: http://jessicaskyedavies.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment