Saturday, February 22, 2014

INTERVIEW: Kim Fielding

I'm delighted to introduce the utterly charming Kim Fielding--author of ten BAJILLION books! <3

Hello Kim and welcome to Home of the Sweetness <3 Thank you so much for subjecting yourself to the RANDOMNESS that is a Raine O'Tierney interview! Please don your best hat, and let's get started!



Regardless of reviews, good or bad, or even publication…What is your FAVORITE thing you’ve ever written and why?

Gah! That’s like asking me to pick my favorite child! Okay though. If I haveto pick, it’s a toss-up between two very different books: Bruteand The Tin Box. I’m especially in love with the guys in those books—Brute and Gray in the one and William and Colby in the other. After I finished writing those books, I missed the characters like lost friends. I especially love how much Brute and William transform as their stories unfold.

If you could go back in time and have a conversation with 13-year-old yourself right now, what would you say?

First off, I’d tell her that it’s perfectly okay to be a geek, and that she should stop worrying what other people think of her. And I’d tell her to stop listening to that voice in her head that tells her she can’t do things. I’m pretty good at ignoring that voice nowadays, but it took decades! Oh, and I’d tell her to stop mooning over that boy who she doesn’t even speak to—she’s going to meet the love of her life in a couple of years. And when she’s 16 and the Ramones come to town for a concert? She should try harder to convince her parents to let her go—even though it’s on a school night—because she’s never going to get another chance to see them.

What is your biggest, most wildest, most extreme writing dream or goal? No dream is too outlandish.

New York Times bestseller! More realistically, I want to be able to quit the day job and write fulltime. I’d love to spend my days traveling the world and writing.


Your thoughts on libraries: GO!

Heaven. One of my earliest memories is my parents taking me to the public library. I was allowed to check out three books, and afterward we’d go out for ice cream. Where I live now, the library is old and way too small and always smells like sweat and piss, but I like it anyway. It’s always crowded, which is a pretty cool thing, really.

Describe yourself using song lyrics.

I stink at this. But I’ll give it a try:

I wanna be a paperback writer. I’m so tired of the USA. There’s a blaze of light in every word. It’s just my imagination, running away with me. Baby did a bad bad thing. I taught the law and the law won (yes, I know that’s not how it really goes. This is my version).

How come all your covers are so dang gorgeous?!

Am I lucky with cover art or what? I love that Dreamspinner Press gives authors so much input into cover design. The very talented artists take my ideas and go about three steps better. I don’t even know which is my favorite, although I have to admit that I have a framed, poster-size Venetian Maskscover on my wall.

I’ve also self-published three novels, and I made two of the covers (the third was made by a skilled friend). For my novel Equipoise I knew I wanted the cover to show an old natural-fiber rope tied in knots. I spent two hours at Hyde Street Pier in San Francisco, taking a couple of hundred photos of ropes. I ended up having to explain to an amused park ranger what the heck I was doing. And I ended up using almost the last picture I took.

What is your superpower? What is your Kryptonite?

I have two (related) superpowers! I can multitask my way to world domination and I can write nearly anywhere, amid nearly any degree of chaos (a necessary skill in my world). Carbs are my Kryptonite, I’m afraid.

You have 200 words—Make. Me. Swoon. (PLEASE!)

Caleb leaned forward against the fridge, so exhausted he couldn’t muster the energy to open it. He barely twitched when warm breath puffed against his nape. But then a hand unbuttoned his trousers, slid the zipper down, and squeezed inside his briefs. A strong arm wrapped around his torso, urging him to shift his weight backward where a solid, bare body waited to support him.

“Long day, baby?” The words were more gravel than whisper.

Caleb moaned a response, lolled his head back onto a shoulder, thrust his hips slightly forward. The palm wrapped around his rapidly hardening cock was big and hot, the skin slightly rough with calluses.

Whiskers rasped against Caleb’s cheek and then soft lips latched onto his neck, just above the pulse point. A heartbeat thudded against his back, the rhythm steady, and he smelled coffee and freshly cut grass. The grip on his cock tightened just a little and Caleb bucked into the fist.

“Gonna make you come,” said the tickle in his ear. And then the hand sped up and teeth gnawed at his neck and he did come—long and hard.

When his legs were steady again, Caleb turned around.

Nobody was there.

What is one mistake you’ve made during your writing career that you’ve learned and grown from?

Not starting earlier. I’ve written short stories for my entire life but never tried to get them published. And for some reason I was convinced I couldn’t write a novel. Then in November 2009 I decided to give NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) a go. I’m currently getting my 11thnovel ready to submit to the publisher, so I guess it’s safe to say I can write a novel.

What is the most RANDOM thing to ever inspire you?

A testicle festival. A town near where I live holds one annually, and although I’ve never attended, I thought the idea was funny. I ended up writing a story called “Tyler Wong Has a Ball” (it’s in the Don’t Try This at Homeanthology).

And finally, for THE most important question of all: what kinds of dachshunds are the BEST kinds of dachshunds?

Saint Bernard dachshunds. Sorry, but I’m a big dog kind of girl.


Fiscal analyst Mike Carlson is good with spreadsheets and baseball stats. He doesn’t believe in fate, true love, or fantasy. But then a fertility goddess whisks him away to another world. A promise has been broken, and if Mike is ever to return to California—and his comfortable if lonely life—he must complete a pilgrimage to the shrines of a death goddess.

A humiliating event convinces Mike to hire a guard to accompany him, and hunky Goran is handy enough with a sword, if a little too liberal with his ale. A man with no home and no family, Goran is deeper than he first appears. As Mike learns more about Goran, his disbelief wavers and his goals become less clear. Contending with feuding gods, the challenges of the journey, and his growing attraction to Goran, Mike faces a puzzle far harder to solve than simple rows of numbers.



Pilgrimage is available in print and e-book versions from Dreamspinner Press , Amazon, and all major booksellers.

About the Author:
Kim Fielding is very pleased every time someone calls her eclectic. She has migrated back and forth across the western two-thirds of the United States and currently lives in California, where she long ago ran out of bookshelf space. She’s a university professor who dreams of being able to travel and write full time. She also dreams of having two perfectly behaved children, a husband who isn’t obsessed with football, and a house that cleans itself. Some dreams are more easily obtained than others.
Kim Fielding can be found at her blog: http://kfieldingwrites.blogspot.com
On Twitter: @KFieldingWrites
And on Facebook: http://facebook.com/KFieldingWrites

8 comments:

  1. Great interview Kim. Thanks for sharing! Testicle Festival??? LMAO I am so going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There's even a Testicle Festival song: http://www.oakdaletesticlefestival.com/

      Delete
  2. Okay, now I have to stop saying nobody looks good in a helmet. Cool interview, ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee, I loved this whole thing. And your smut was... yes! Especially the last line OMG. Thanks for entertaining me this morning, Kim and Raine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CJane! It's sort of an evil last line, isn't it? :-)

      Delete
  4. Carbs are definitely Kryptonite. Fun interview

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I cannot resist them, I'm afraid.

      Delete