Friday, February 28, 2014

INTERVIEW: CJane Elliott

Today we are talking to the lovely CJane Elliott who comes to us with a VERY bold, VERY dashing hat. She thought she might have to flee the country after revealing said hat, but it just makes me love her MORE!


Hello CJane and welcome to Home of the Sweetness <3 Thank you so much for subjecting yourself to the RANDOMNESS that is a Raine O'Tierney interview! Please don your best hat, and let's get started!




You are a fan of coming out stories! What draws you to this particular theme?
I love those times in life when someone confronts their fears and goes beyond them. I love when a person is willing to let go of who they’ve been for who they could become. I’m inspired by people being true to their deepest selves, even if they have to upset their family, church, or society to do it. It takes such courage.


I want to know your deepest, most hidden writing dream! Nothing is too big or too wild. 
You mean, other than writing a runaway bestseller so I can retire from my day job and live and write on my private island? An actual hidden writing dream is to write a screenplay that gets produced in film or on T.V. A second dream is to write a musical based on one of my books with my son Nathan (who is the musician part of the team).


Your thoughts on libraries: GO!
I love libraries. ALL THOSE BOOKS! When I was young, they were a treasure trove. They still are, although I don’t go as often as I used to.


If creating were poison to you—so that each time you made a beautiful new thing, you would become weaker—would you still continue to do it?
Oh, wow, what a question. I don’t know! I guess the “right” answer is “Of course, I’d have to do it! I can’t NOT create!” But that’s not actually true. I’ve had long periods where I wasn’t actively engaged in making a beautiful new thing. The problem with deciding I’d no longer engage in the “poison” of creating is that I’d be left in this grey netherworld, which is a place I’ve lived in before and have no interest in returning to.


Describe yourself using song lyrics.

Here’s about me in my writing career:  


Ain't nothing gonna break my stride
Nobody's gonna slow me down
Oh no, I've got to keep on moving
Ain't nothing gonna break my stride
I'm running and I won't touch ground
Oh no, I've got to keep on moving


-Break My Stride, Matthew Wilder


Here’s lyrics from a song that inspired me to write m/m, people’s opinions be damned:

Why can’t we all be free without any filter
And gush ‘cause we’re so fresh together?
Why can’t we all be proud and shout it out loud?
Embrace it because sex is not the enemy


- Kiss and Tell, Adam Lambert


What is your superpower? What is your Kryptonite? 
My superpower is x-ray vision! I’m a Scorpio and a therapist and I have this way of looking at a person and knowing what’s going on with them without them having to say it. But don’t worry, I use my power for good. My Kryptonite is worrying what other people will think about me.


You have 200 words—Make. Me. Swoon. (PLEASE!) 


Sol started when he felt Max take hold of his right hand. He glanced at him, holding his breath. Max turned his hand over to study the tattoo on the inside of his wrist, then traced the tattoo with his callused index finger. Shifting in his seat, Sol cleared his throat, letting his other hand drift to cover his lap.

He stared at Max but Max was gazing at Sol’s wrist like he was memorizing it. He held it now with both hands, his wedding ring glinting. Frozen, Sol watched as Max lifted his wrist and pressed his lips to it. Sol closed his eyes, feeling those lips touch him, warm and dry.


The bus sped along, vibrating and humming with its usual nighttime noises. They lurched a bit as the bus took a corner, and Max brushed his lips once more over Sol’s tattoo. Sol gasped, then bit into his bottom lip, hard, when Max began to plant a trail of small kisses from his wrist up over the heel of his hand and into his palm.

He needed to stop this. He needed even more for it to continue.


What is one mistake you’ve made during your writing career that you’ve learned and grown from?
Hiding in my writing cave and not doing anything to promote the first three novellas I published with Dreamspinner. I dove in to promoting my new novel, Serpentine Walls, and I’ve met so many supportive and lovely writers, reviewers and readers. It’s a lot more fun.


What are you going to do to survive during the zombie apocalypse?
As noted above, hiding is my favorite thing, so I’ll probably find the most secret place I can and hole up there until it’s over.


What is something completely random that inspires you?
Spirals. I LOVE spirals. I have a spiral shell on my writing table and pictures of spirals everywhere. It’s the notion that nothing ever goes in a straight line and sometimes we don’t think we’re going anywhere, but we are.


And finally, for THE most important question of all: what kinds of dachshunds are the BEST kinds of dachshunds?
Um, is this a trick question? Should I do some research on your site to find pics of a particular kind of dachshund? ALL KINDS!



Official Blurb:

Reeling from the news that his parents are divorcing, Pete Morgan starts his junior year at college cynical about love and commitment. Although his new openness to one-night stands does wonders for his sex life, fighting his romantic nature proves harder than he’d anticipated. He soon finds himself pining for a glamorous senior, Aidan, who doesn’t mind taking Pete to bed but shows no interest in commitment—at least not with Pete. And Pete’s attempt at a “friends-with-benefits” relationship with sophomore Jed leaves Pete feeling empty.

One bright spot in Pete’s year is Matthew, an easygoing graduate student who assists Pete in making his first film. Matthew has some baggage too, and has sworn off relationships and sex altogether, so Pete feels safe to enjoy their friendship. But he falls for Matthew anyway, not able to fight his growing conviction that Matthew is the perfect guy for him. Even if Pete can accept that he made a mistake when he turned his back on relationships, that doesn't mean Matthew will feel the same. With a few life lessons under his belt, Pete’s ready to take a chance on love. As he finds the courage to bare his heart to Matthew, he can only hope that Matthew will take a chance with him.



Buy it here: Dreamspinner  Amazon


Author Bio:


After years of hearing characters chatting away in her head, CJane Elliott finally decided to put them on paper and hasn't looked back since. A psychotherapist by training, CJane enjoys writing sexy, passionate stories that also explore the human psyche. CJane has traveled all over North Americafor work and her characters are travelers, too, traveling down into their own depths to find what they need to get to the happy ending. CJane is an ardent supporter of gay equality and is particularly fond of coming out stories.


In her spare time, CJane can be found dancing, listening to music, or watching old movies. Her husband and son support her writing habit by staying out of the way when they see her hunched over, staring intensely at her laptop.


Ways to contact CJane Elliott:





No comments:

Post a Comment